A topic about ADO tips and tricks
These 10 tips come from the May 1999 issue of Visual Basic Programmers Journal -- Optimizing Data Access Using ADO by Dianne Siebold. See this article for a full elaboration of these tips. It's online, available once you register...
- Avoid updating through RecordSets: ConnectedRecordsets require a cursor, an open connection, and consume resources.
- Use Stored Procedures since they are pre-compiled and thus faster, and they scale far better.
- Create the MinimumRecordset, the recordset with the minimum bells and whistles you can live with.
- Use Disconnected Recordsets because they consume drastically lower database resources.
- Define CommandParameters.
- Encapsulate data access. Put data access code into a dedicated tier or layer.
- Use data shaping to return master/detail data.
- Use MTS.
- Use Output Parameters instead of returning recordsets where appropriate.
- Retrieve only required data.
( Topic last updated: 2000.05.22 12:15:34 PM )