Gracious VolunterHousekeepers keep this wiki neat. You can too!
For nice-to-know details about formatting topics, see Wiki Formatting Examples.
Some reasons to edit wiki pages:
Here are typical little messes that are hard to avoid but easy to take care of. Do it, and help make this wiki more valuable.
- Authors Can't Spell. Gentle housekeepers make the necessary adjustments to spelling and grammar without otherwise drawing attention to modest mistakes.
- Summarizing. As topics grow, they benefit from the attention of insightful housekeepers who squeeze nuggets out of Thread Mode and make the topic into more Document Mode.
- Correcting. VFP, OOP, Data, Client/server... Hey, it's a big world. Nobody can possibly know everything. A knowledgeable housekeeper will carefully and respectfully edit things s/he knows for a fact are incorrect. Thoughtful topic authors should not take this personally, and should be thankful that if a mistake is made the community is there to patch it and make it right.
- Refactoring. As topics grow, they often become unwieldy, so industrious housekeepers will organize the topic, break it into subtopics, and sometimes replace chunks of text with links to places where issues are best (or already) covered. See Category Needs Refactoring.
- Categorizing. Some topics need to be linked with the appropriate categories. For a list of these, see Category No Category. To place an article into a category, simply add the category's Camel Case name to the end of the article. Also, review the List Categories and pick off the occasion single article that got a solo category in 2001 and it's still alone. Merge it into a parent category if appropriate.
- Enhancing quickies. Some pages contain only a URL. An enterprising housekeeper follows the link, explores, and puts a sentence or two in topic explaining why someone else might want to follow the link.
- Take something back. The beauty of the wiki is anybody can add anything to any topic, or take it back. The wiki isn't a real-time medium. People have time to think, sometimes for days or weeks, before they follow up on some wiki topics. What people write is often, upon reconsideration, vastly improved.
- Pages Are Accidentally Added E.g., someone creates a Visual Fx Po topic. So industrious housekeepers delete the pages to clean up the database and keep the site in order.
If you have read the above, and understand the use of Wiki Name Spaces on the Wiki, and want to be able to change the name space of topics, then click this link: __ IAm AVolunteer House Keeper (see The Wiki Cookie for how this works) and add your name to the appropriate Volunteer Housekeepers page. The namespace links appear under the topic title in regular pages. Steven Black
Category Housekeeping Wiki Protocol Category Learning Wiki
Meta Description: Information for volunteer housekeepers of the FoxPro Wiki.
Meta Keywords: Wiki housekeeping, formatting, orientation
( Topic last updated: 2011.02.16 09:17:17 AM )