A place for discussion and links on Niche Marketing
"There's Big Money in Small Niches"
A good link about marketing plans for niche markets: http://www.nichemarketingstrategies.com/marketing_plan.html. In summary, it recommends that a simple plan may look like this:
Note that many very successful VFP developers do one or more (or all) these things.
- Website: Develop your site, list with search engines, banner advertising, classifieds, post to newsgroups and discussion boards, write articles for other newsletters.
- Newsletter: A must have to develop credibility, forum, advertising (possible revenue), customers, articles for future use as promotional items. This will help you keep your head in the game with up to date items.
- Autosponders: Set up for newsletter subscription welcome and freebies, source of back end marketing, stay in touch with customers and potential customers.
- Classifieds: Look into FFA sites, check into lead ads in related newsletters, classifieds in Yahoo and other portals.
- Discussion Forums: Determine list or related active forums, place at least two relevant posts each day.
Excellent post by Seth Godin titled Average .
Mass marketing works best when it assumes that everybody in the entire chain is just plain average. Or even a little bit less. Sorry to lower your expectations.
-- Steven Black
Niche marketing, on the other hand, can thrive if it starts with the assumption that average products by average people for average people is just not your thing. Remember, though, that your sales expectations have to be in line with your niche mantra. Be picky. Make great stuff. Work with amazing people. Just don't expect everyone to love what you do.
A major driver of niche marketing is referrals. Therefore, if you aren't a good enough developer to get several dispassioante people to recommend you, then you probably won't be very successful in a niche market like Visual FoxPro. If you are a good developer, then make sure as many people as possible know it. Protect your reputation at all cost, and always deliver incredible value. For more, see http://salesdoctors.com/referral/refer20.htm-- Steven Black
http://www.netgain.co.nz/library/what_niche.htm: Niche web marketing is where it's at.
Contributors: Steven Black
( Topic last updated: 2006.05.04 01:05:08 PM )