There are three types of Com Component servers.
Here are the pros and cons. Can anyone help in filling these in?
In - Process Component
- same memory space
- calls to the methods are faster. This is only significant if you are making more than hundreds of calls to the server.
- serious errors in the .dll will take the client down since the client and COM server share the same process address space.
- cannot be deployed remotely.
Out - Of - Process Component
- seperate memory space
- an error in the server will not terminate the client.
- can be deployed remotely.
- calls to the methods are slower. Processer context switching causes slowdown.
Multi threaded components are always out of process components (dll's)
- Handle multiple requests better
- Scale better.
- Need more code to handle potential resource conflicts within methods.
Category C _ O _ M Category Exam 70-155
( Topic last updated: 1999.12.02 10:58:20 AM )