A Startup program (sometimes called a Loader) is the first point of contact of an application.
What makes a good VFP startup program?
Here are some elements that may be found in a startup program. Note that Startup programs may invoke distinct applications, which may themselves have loaders.
Please add to the list, or discuss what's already here
Regardless of mode
- Inside code sequencing and Layout: Clear stepwise categorization of tasks
- Parameter handling
- Physical environment check and related warnings and error reporting about that.
- Function as a gateway to some sort of diagnostics and basic repair mode
- SET PATH, SET CLASSLIB, SET PROCEDURE, SET LIBRARY statements
- Display a Splash Screen if application startup is a long process
- Read application configuration files
- Launch and configure the application
- Log startup- and shutdown-related events, as applicable
- Optionally: display system notices
- Optionally: display tip-of-the-day dialogs
- Check for applications patches and updates
- Apply pending applications patches and updates
- Set error handling for users
- Configure ON SHUTDOWN
- Optionally: Manage login and licensing. This is often done inside the APP the loader invokes, either by the App's load process or after the App is fully loaded. But the outside loader can manage this too.
- Optionally load general and specific user preferences, as appropriate
- Save the development environment at the outset, and restore the development environment on the way out
- Permit application launch with a simple
- Set error handling for developers
- Allow developers and testers to easily log-in as generic archtypical users
( Topic last updated: 2010.11.30 04:19:07 PM )