Microsoft Releases Visual FoxPro 8.0
February 1, 2003: The Visual FoxPro Team at Microsoft is very excited to announce that Visual FoxPro 8.0 was completed and released to manufacturing (RTM) on January 31st, 2003. The Visual FoxPro team was hoping to release Visual FoxPro 8.0 in early January, but we needed the extra time to ensure we released the most stable version of Visual FoxPro yet, even more solid than Visual FoxPro 7.0 with Service Pack 1. Visual FoxPro 8.0 is the most feature rich release of Visual FoxPro since version 3.0. I'd like to include some details about Visual FoxPro 8.0, related announcements, and upcoming activities around the release.
Visual FoxPro 8.0 is fully compatible with previous versions of Visual FoxPro and includes everything needed to write, build, and test great data-centric applications. Product highlights in Visual FoxPro 8.0 include structured error handling, Cursor Adapter class for universal data access, new auto-increment support for data tables, Windows XP Themes support, new base classes and controls, new GDI+ image support, new event binding for objects, full hierarchical support, new XML Web services features, updated OLE DB provider, improved development productivity, and new and improved compatibility with Visual Studio .NET and SQL Server 2000.
Visual FoxPro 8.0 Product Highlights:
- Structured error handling - Control and encapsulate error handling in code using TRY...CATCH...FINALLY structure, escalate exceptions using THROW, and manage using Exception objects.
- Universal data access - Use the Cursor Adapter class for unified data access to native Visual FoxPro tables, XML, Microsoft SQL Server 2000, and ODBC or OLE DB data sources.
- View Designer - Build SQL SELECT statement queries using two-way editing between the Query/View designer and source code output.
- Auto-increment support - Create auto-increment counter fields for primary key fields in Visual FoxPro data tables.
- Windows XP Themes support - Apply Microsoft Windows XP Themes to Visual FoxPro applications, including controls at the form and container level.
- Advanced controls - Build smart client desktop forms using rich features such as orienting tabs on page frames, locking and automatically resizing columns, highlighting grid rows, changing background color and positioning images on command buttons.
- GDI+ image support - Display and rotate images on forms with support for file formats such as .bmp, .jpeg, .gif, animated .gif, .wmf, .emf, .tiff, and more.
- Event binding - Bind native and custom events and methods to other Visual FoxPro objects.
- XML data import and export - Import and export hierarchical XML using support for XML DiffGrams between Visual FoxPro data cursors and ADO.NET DataSets.
- XML Web services - Publish and consume SOAP-based XML Web services compatible with .NET technology over HTTP using the Microsoft SOAP Toolkit 3.0 (included).
- OLE DB Provider - Provide access to Visual FoxPro data from other clients such as Microsoft Visual Studio .NET and Office XP.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE) - Build desktop and shared solutions compatible with Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and migrate them to SQL Server 2000 directly without modifying code.
- Deployment tools - Create setup programs for your applications using an exclusively developed version of InstallShield® Express for Visual FoxPro.
- Powerful base classes - Subclass member classes such as pages in page frames and headers and columns in grids. Subclass the Data Environment class and use the Data Environment and Cursor Adapter builders. You can manage application objects using the new Collection class.
- Development productivity - Use the Task Pane to manage development tasks and access Visual FoxPro Help, XML Web services, and community news. The new Toolbox provides easy access to frequently used items such as classes, controls, and code snippets. You can search for and replace symbol and text references throughout projects and files using the Code References tool.
Visual FoxPro 8.0 System Requirements:
Processor: PC with a Pentium-class processor or higher
RAM: 64 MB; 128 MB or higher recommended
Hard disk space required to install: 300 MB
Hard disk space required: 165 MB
Video: 800x600, 256 colors
Design-time: Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2, Windows XP Professional or later
Run-time: Windows 98/Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP or later
Category VFP 8
( Topic last updated: 2003.06.18 11:23:44 AM )