Visual FoxPro 9.0 EULA (end-user license agreement) can be downloadeed from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0d1e5525-561a-4abb-9f47-b01d05964b63&displaylang=en
[2005.01.27] See: VFP9 co-existing with earlier development versions
A couple of interesting points:
"[You may not] distribute any Distributable Code that runs on any platform other than the Windows platform"
Huh? Does this not mean that if it runs on Linux that it can't be distributed - even if my customer uses Windows?
"[You may not] work around technical limitations in the software"
I can't split my tables to work around the 2GB limit?
Ken Levy has posted the complete VFP9 EULA online so you can read it before you buy. -- Alex Feldstein
Earlier versions of Visual FoxPro came with changes to the End User Licensing Agreements that started such interesting topics as EULAfor VFP Apps, VFP 8 Upgrade License and who can ever forget VFP and Linux?
What are the changes in the VFP9 EULA?
Is the EULA available online for examination or do you have to risk buying the product to find out the license?
Highlighting added to some parts that are particularly interesting:
LICENSE TERMS FOR MICROSOFT SOFTWARE
MICROSOFT VISUAL FOXPRO VERSION 9.0
THESE LICENSE TERMS ARE AN AGREEMENT BETWEEN MICROSOFT CORPORATION (OR, IF APPLICABLE BASED ON WHERE YOU ACQUIRED THE SOFTWARE, ONE OF ITS AFFILIATES) AND YOU. PLEASE READ THEM. THEY APPLY TO THE SOFTWARE NAMED ABOVE WHICH INCLUDES THE MEDIA ON WHICH YOU RECEIVED IT, IF ANY. THE TERMS ALSO APPLY TO THE MICROSOFT:
FOR THIS SOFTWARE UNLESS OTHER TERMS ACCOMPANY THOSE ITEMS. IF SO, THOSE TERMS APPLY.
- INTERNET-BASED SERVICES, AND
- SUPPORT SERVICES,
BY USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU ACCEPT THESE TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THEM, DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE. INSTEAD, RETURN IT TO THE RETAILER FOR A REFUND OR CREDIT. IF YOU CANNOT OBTAIN A REFUND THERE, CONTACT MICROSOFT AT (800) MICROSOFT, OR THE MICROSOFT AFFILIATE SERVING YOUR COUNTRY (SEE WWW.MICROSOFT.COM/WORLDWIDE), FOR INFORMATION ABOUT MICROSOFT'S REFUND POLICIES.
MICROSOFT DOES NOT COLLECT ANY INFORMATION FROM YOU OR YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM THAT CAN BE USED TO IDENTIFY YOU OR CONTACT YOU WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT. AS DESCRIBED BELOW, THIS AGREEMENT OPERATES AS YOUR CONSENT TO THE COLLECTION OF CERTAIN INFORMATION FOR INTERNET-BASED SERVICES.
a. Software. The software is a suite of Microsoft development tools, software programs, and documentation.
b. License model. The software is licensed based on:
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. If you comply with this agreement, for each license you acquire, you have the rights below.
- the number of users that use the software.
a. General. One user may install and use copies of the software to design, develop, test and demonstrate your programs. Testing does not include staging on a server in a production environment, such as loading content prior to production use.
b. Other Terms Covering Software.
3. ADDITIONAL LICENSING REQUIREMENTS AND/OR USE RIGHTS.
- Third Party Programs. If other terms come with a program licensed by a third party, those terms apply to your use of it.
- Included Microsoft Programs. These terms apply to all Microsoft programs included with the software. If the terms that come with an included Microsoft program give you more rights that do not conflict with express limitations in this agreement, then you also have those rights.
- Pre-Release Code. If other terms come with pre-release code, those terms apply to your use of it.
a. Documentation. Any person that has access to your internal network may copy and use the documentation for your internal purposes.
b. Testing. Any person may access the software to test your programs as long as they only use the executable files of your programs.
c. Distributable Code.
1. Right to Use and Distribute. Distributable Code is code and related text files that are listed in a REDIST.TXT file or marked as "sample" code. If you comply with this agreement, you may:
2. Distribution Requirements. For any Distributable Code you distribute, you must:
- REDIST.TXT Files. Copy and distribute the object code form of Distributable Code listed in REDIST.TXT files. The software may also contain the following Distributable Code. If so, you may also:
- copy and distribute the unmodified output of merge modules (Microsoft Merge Modules); and
- modify the source code form of Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC), Active Template Libraries (ATL), and C runtimes (CRTs) to design, develop and test your programs, and copy and distribute the object code form of your modified files under a new name.
- Sample Code. Modify, copy and distribute the source and object code form of "sample" code.
- Third Party Distribution. Permit distributors of your programs to copy and distribute the Distributable Code as part of those programs.
3. Distribution Restrictions. You may not:
- add significant new functionality to it in your programs;
- require distributors, and external end users, to agree to terms that protect it at least as much as this agreement;
- display your valid copyright notice on your programs; and
- indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Microsoft from any claims, including attorneys' fees, related to the distribution or use of your programs.
* distribute any Distributable Code that runs on any platform other than the Windows platform:; or
- alter any copyright, trademark or patent notices in the Distributable Code;
- use Microsoft's name, logo or trademarks to market your programs;
4. SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. The software is engineered to allow you to use it in certain ways. You must comply with these technical limitations. For more information about them, see the software documentation. You may not:
- modify or distribute the source code of any Distributable Code so that any part of it becomes subject to an Excluded License. An Excluded License is one that requires, as a condition of use, modification or distribution, that:
- the code be disclosed or distributed in source code form, or
- others have the right to modify it.
5. DOWNGRADE. You may install and use an earlier version of the software at the same time. If you install an earlier version, this agreement applies. The earlier version may contain software components which are not included in this version of the software. If so, the terms specific to those components will apply to your use of them. The agreement that accompanies the earlier version of the software contains those terms. Microsoft is not obligated to supply earlier versions to you.
- work around technical limitations in the software,
- reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation,
- make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law, despite this limitation,
- publish the software for others to copy,
- rent, lease or lend it, or
- use it for commercial software hosting services.
6. TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY. The first user of the software may transfer it and this agreement directly to a third party. Before the transfer, that party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. The first user must uninstall the software before transferring it separately from the device. The first user may not retain any copies.
7. REASSIGNMENT OF LICENSES. You may permanently reassign a license from one user to another.
8. SPECIAL LABEL SOFTWARE.
a. Academic Edition Software. If the software is marked "Academic Edition" or "AE," you may use it only if you are a "Qualified Educational User." If you do not know whether you are a Qualified Educational User, visit www.microsoft.com/education or contact the Microsoft affiliate serving your country.
9. BACKUP COPY. You may make one backup copy of the software. You may use it only to reinstall the software.
10. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. The software is subject to U.S. export laws and regulations. You must comply with all domestic and international export laws and regulations that apply to the software. These laws include restrictions on destinations, end users and end use. For additional information, see www.microsoft.com/exporting.
11. SUPPORT SERVICES. Microsoft provides support services for the software as described at www.support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.
12. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This agreement (including the warranty below) and any amendments to it, and the terms for supplements, updates, Internet-based services and support services, are the entire agreement for the software and support services.
13. APPLICABLE LAW.
a. United States. If you acquired the software in the United States, Washington state law governs the interpretation of this agreement and applies to claims for breach of it, regardless of conflict of laws principles. The laws of the state where you live govern all other claims, including claims under state consumer protection laws, unfair competition laws, and in tort.
b. Outside the United States. If you acquired the software in any other country, the laws of the country where you live apply.
14. LEGAL EFFECT. This agreement describes certain legal rights. You may have other rights under the laws of your state or country. You may also have rights with respect to the party from whom you acquired the software. This agreement does not change your rights under the laws of your state or country if the laws of your state or country do not permit it to do so.
15. LIMITATIONS ON AND EXCLUSIONS OF DAMAGES. YOU CAN RECOVER FROM MICROSOFT AND ITS SUPPLIERS ONLY DIRECT DAMAGES UP TO THE AMOUNT YOU ACTUALLY PAID FOR THE SOFTWARE. YOU CANNOT RECOVER ANY OTHER DAMAGES, INCLUDING CONSEQUENTIAL, LOST PROFITS, SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES.
This limitation applies to
It also applies even if
- any matter related to the software, services, content (including code) on third party Internet sites, or third party programs, and
- claims for breach of contract, breach of warranty, guarantee or condition, strict liability, negligence, or other tort to the extent permitted by applicable law.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. They also may not apply to you because your country may not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental, consequential or other damages.
- repair, replacement or a refund for the software does not fully compensate you for any losses, or
- Microsoft knew or should have known about the possibility of the damages.
A. LIMITED WARRANTY. If you follow the instructions, the software will perform substantially as described in the Microsoft materials that you receive in or with the software.
B. TERM OF WARRANTY; WARRANTY RECIPIENT; LENGTH OF ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES. THE LIMITED WARRANTY COVERS THE SOFTWARE FOR ONE YEAR AFTER ACQUIRED BY THE FIRST USER. IF YOU RECEIVE SUPPLEMENTS, UPDATES, OR REPLACEMENT SOFTWARE DURING THAT YEAR, THEY WILL BE COVERED FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE WARRANTY OR 30 DAYS, WHICHEVER IS LONGER. If the first user transfers the software, the remainder of the warranty will apply to the recipient.
TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES, GUARANTEES OR CONDITIONS THAT YOU HAVE LAST ONLY DURING THE TERM OF THE LIMITED WARRANTY. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to you. They also may not apply to you because some countries may not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty, guarantee or condition lasts.
C. EXCLUSIONS FROM WARRANTY. This warranty does not cover problems caused by your acts (or failures to act), the acts of others, or events beyond Microsoft's reasonable control.
D. REMEDY FOR BREACH OF WARRANTY. WE WILL REPAIR OR REPLACE THE SOFTWARE AT NO CHARGE. IF WE CANNOT REPAIR OR REPLACE IT, WE WILL REFUND THE AMOUNT SHOWN ON YOUR RECEIPT FOR THE SOFTWARE. WE WILL REPAIR OR REPLACE SUPPLEMENTS, UPDATES AND REPLACEMENT SOFTWARE AT NO CHARGE. IF WE CANNOT REPAIR OR REPLACE THEM, WE WILL REFUND THE AMOUNT YOU PAID FOR THEM, IF ANY. YOU MUST UNINSTALL THE SOFTWARE AND RETURN IT TO MICROSOFT WITH PROOF OF PURCHASE TO OBTAIN A REFUND. THESE ARE YOUR ONLY REMEDIES FOR BREACH OF THE LIMITED WARRANTY.
E. CONSUMER RIGHTS NOT AFFECTED. YOU MAY HAVE ADDITIONAL CONSUMER RIGHTS UNDER YOUR LOCAL LAWS, WHICH THIS AGREEMENT CANNOT CHANGE.
F. WARRANTY PROCEDURES. You need proof of purchase for warranty service.
1. United States and Canada. For warranty service or information about how to obtain a refund for software acquired in the United States and Canada, contact Microsoft at:
2. Europe, Middle East and Africa. If you acquired the software in Europe, the Middle East or Africa, Microsoft Ireland Operations Limited makes this limited warranty. To make a claim under this warranty, you should contact either:
3. Outside United States, Canada, Europe, Middle East and Africa. If you acquired the software outside the United States, Canada, Europe, the Middle East and Africa, contact the Microsoft affiliate serving your country (see www.microsoft.com/worldwide).
- Microsoft Ireland Operations Limited, Customer Care Centre, Atrium Building Block B, Carmanhall Road, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Dublin 18, Ireland, or
- the Microsoft affiliate serving your country (see www.microsoft.com/worldwide).
G. NO OTHER WARRANTIES. THE LIMITED WARRANTY IS THE ONLY DIRECT WARRANTY FROM MICROSOFT. WE GIVE NO OTHER EXPRESS WARRANTIES, GUARANTEES OR CONDITIONS. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER YOUR LOCAL LAWS, WE EXCLUDE THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. If your local laws give you any implied warranties, guarantees or conditions, despite this exclusion, your remedies are described in the Remedy for Breach of Warranty clause above, to the extent permitted by your local laws.
H. LIMITATIONS ON AND EXCLUSIONS OF DAMAGES FOR BREACH OF WARRANTY. THE LIMITATIONS ON AND EXCLUSIONS OF DAMAGES CLAUSE ABOVE APPLIES TO BREACHES OF THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STATE. YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS WHICH VARY FROM COUNTRY TO COUNTRY.
PLEASE NOTE: AS THIS SOFTWARE IS DISTRIBUTED IN QUEBEC, CANADA, SOME OF THE CLAUSES IN THIS AGREEMENT ARE PROVIDED BELOW IN FRENCH.
Remarque: Ce logiciel Ètant distribuÈ au QuÈbec, Canada, certaines des clauses dans ce contrat sont fournies ci-dessous en franÁais.
A. GARANTIE LIMIT…E. Si vous suivez les instructions, le logiciel fonctionnera dans son ensemble comme il est dÈcrit dans la documentation de Microsoft reÁue avec ou dans le logiciel.
B. DUR…E DE LA GARANTIE ; B…N…FICIAIRE DE LA GARANTIE ; DUR…E DE TOUTE GARANTIE IMPLICITE. LA GARANTIE LIMIT…E COUVRE LE LOGICIEL PENDANT UN AN APR»S SON ACQUISITION PAR LE PREMIER UTILISATEUR. SI VOUS RECEVEZ DES COMPL…MENTS, DES MISES ¿ JOUR OU UN LOGICIEL DE REMPLACEMENT AU COURS DE CETTE ANN…E, ILS SERONT COUVERTS PAR LA GARANTIE PENDANT LA DUR…E RESTANTE OU PENDANT 30 JOURS, LA P…RIODE LA PLUS LONGUE …TANT RETENUE. Si le premier utilisateur transfËre le logiciel, la durÈe restante de la garantie s'applique au destinataire.
DANS LA LIMITE AUTORIS…E PAR LA LOI EN VIGUEUR, TOUTE GARANTIE OU CONDITION IMPLICITE DONT VOUS B…N…FICIEZ PRENDRA FIN AU TERME DE LA GARANTIE LIMIT…E. Certains …tats n'autorisent pas les limitations portant sur la durÈe d'une garantie implicite, de sorte que les limitations ci-dessus peuvent ne pas vous Ítre applicables. Elles peuvent Ègalement ne pas vous Ítre applicables, car certains pays n'autorisent pas les limitations portant sur la durÈe d'une garantie ou condition implicite.
C. EXCLUSIONS DE LA GARANTIE. Cette garantie ne couvre pas les problËmes engendrÈs par vos propres actes (ou absences d'actes), ceux de tiers ou tout autre ÈvÈnement indÈpendant de la volontÈ de Microsoft.
D. RECOURS DANS LE CADRE DE LA VIOLATION DE GARANTIE. NOUS NOUS ENGAGEONS ¿ R…PARER OU ¿ REMPLACER LE LOGICIEL GRATUITEMENT. SI NOUS NE POUVONS PAS LE R…PARER NI LE REMPLACER, NOUS REMBOURSERONS LE MONTANT QUE VOUS AVEZ PAY… POUR LE LOGICIEL FIGURANT SUR LE RE«U. NOUS NOUS ENGAGEONS ¿ R…PARER OU ¿ REMPLACER LES COMPL…MENTS, LES MISES ¿ JOUR ET LE LOGICIEL DE REMPLACEMENT GRATUITEMENT. SI NOUS NE POUVONS PAS LES R…PARER NI LES REMPLACER, NOUS REMBOURSERONS LE MONTANT QUE VOUS AVEZ PAY… POUR CES COMPOSANTS, LE CAS …CH…ANT. VOUS DEVEZ D…SINSTALLER LE LOGICIEL ET LE RENVOYER ¿ MICROSOFT AVEC UNE PREUVE D'ACHAT POUR VOUS FAIRE REMBOURSER. CES RECOURS SONT LES SEULS DONT VOUS DISPOSEZ DANS LE CADRE DE LA VIOLATION DE GARANTIE LIMIT…E.
E. DROITS DES CONSOMMATEURS NON AFFECT…S. VOUS POUVEZ B…N…FICIER DE DROITS DES CONSOMMATEURS SUPPL…MENTAIRES DANS LE CADRE DU DROIT LOCAL, QUE CE CONTRAT NE PEUT MODIFIER.
F. PROC…DURES RELATIVES AUX R…CLAMATIONS DANS LE CADRE DE LA GARANTIE. Vous devrez fournir une preuve d'achat pour obtenir de l'aide en matiËre de garantie.
1. …tats-Unis et Canada. Pour obtenir de l'aide en matiËre de garantie ou des informations sur la procÈdure ‡ suivre pour vous faire rembourser un logiciel acquis aux …tats-Unis et au Canada, mettez-vous en rapport avec Microsoft :
2. Europe, Moyen-Orient et Afrique. Si vous avez acquis le logiciel en Europe, au Moyen-Orient ou en Afrique, Microsoft Ireland Operations Limited offre cette garantie limitÈe. Pour faire une rÈclamation au titre de cette garantie, vous devez vous mettre en rapport avec :
3. En dehors des …tats-Unis, du Canada, de l'Europe, du Moyen-Orient et de l'Afrique. Si vous avez acquis le logiciel en dehors des …tats-Unis, du Canada, de l'Europe, du Moyen-Orient et de l'Afrique, mettez-vous en rapport avec votre filiale nationale de Microsoft (visitez le site www.microsoft.com/worldwide).
- Microsoft Ireland Operations Limited, Customer Care Centre, Atrium Building Block B, Carmanhall Road, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Dublin 18, Irlande, ou
- votre filiale nationale de Microsoft (visitez le site www.microsoft.com/worldwide).
Category VFP 9 Category VFP Installations
( Topic last updated: 2005.07.13 10:29:22 PM )